Every business whether it is selling or fixing widgets needs systems to maintain consistency for their office to run efficiently and profitably. A few simple tips and ideas can make a huge difference when locating your information. Our natural thought patterns lead us towards recognizing our organizing style.
The key is knowing how we approach and think
There is a simple concept to understand which is how we approach and think when locating our information. It basically is tuning into our natural thought patterns. We all have our own flow, a natural routine to sort and organize in a logical, consistent, and repetitive manner. Once we are able to hone in on this amazing discovery, struggle disappears replaced with increase efficiency and functioning more effectively in our own office environment.
Four organizing styles
There are four areas I focus on. They are our basic learning methods, I refer to as our organizing styles. They include visual, audio, reader, and kinesthetic. There is a strong possibility of having a combination of strengths; however, we tend to lean towards a dominant style. Listed are a few tips and ideas for each organizing style to help you clean and maintain your workspace.
Visual people like to have everything in sight. They never want to put anything away.
- Use colour as designation points.
- Post-it notes as reminders around workspace, computer monitor
- Colour folders (manually or online) by category, title or topic. Examples: accounting blue folder, marketing green folder, etc.
- Manually place company logos on folders to locate instantly
- Colour code online calendars to schedule and as reminders.
Talking out loud really helps audio people organize their thoughts.
- To stay on track cell phone is great to set alarm for reminders of daily tasks; meetings, appointments so they stay on top what needs to be done.
- Invest in a recorder for brain dumping; note taking, voice message, reminders, scheduling, important dates
- For people that still have a landline, call yourself to leave a voice message
- To retain information read out loud notes and assignments
- Discussions with others is very helpful for audios when brainstorming
Readers are lovers of words. The more words the better. A tendency to jot down notes on any scrap of paper, and love to do list.
- Preference is step by step written instructions or diagrams
- For readers I recommend online programs such as Evernote. A great tool for all your to do list for organizing into categories
- For manual preference create a routine to reach for the same planner or spiral notebook. Date each item to provide a timeline
- Excellent note takers for committees and groups
- Gravitate to journaling and research information on the internet
Kinesthetic learn by doing. Absorb information using their senses in a tactile, touching, feeling way.
- Practical, hands on approach, absorbing information by being shown. Examples are demonstrations, walk-through, images, and videos.
- Preference is to sort and organize items using containers. Each container has a purpose and holds a specific item.
- Kinesthetic absorb information in a tactile manner. Grasping, holding, touching, feeling, even tasting
- Approach everything with a very structure, methodical process
- Preference is to exhaust every avenue to do it themselves before considering verbal or written instructions.
Do you recognize your organizing style?
Keeping your office environment organized is a form of self-care. When you take the time to get organized, you feel less stress and accomplish more in your day. Whether it is business, personal, organization, club, or group, being organized provides more clarity. Find your organizing style to stay clutter free, focus, and to meet your goals.